Simple, juicy and a perfect autumn dinner.
What you need:
- 12 chipolata sausages (use good ones with high meat content)
- 3 large carrots
- 2 large eating apples
- 1 red onion
- 400 ml cider (I use Aspall Organic Suffolk Cider because its my favourite)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Handful of picked fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 chicken stock cube (I use Kallo)
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Brown the sausages in a frying pan
- Whilst they are browning peel and finely slice the carrot and onion
- Add the carrot, onion and sausages to an oven proof dish.
- Gently heat the cider in a saucepan, dissolve the chicken stock cube, sugar and tomato puree into the warm cider, add a clove of crushed garlic, thyme and season well then warm through.
- Pour the cider mixture over the sausages and vegetables and place dish (lid on) into the oven for an hour.
- After an hour, stir well and add the peeled diced apples, return to the oven for 30 minutes
- If casserole needs thickening do this either with cornflour & water or plain flour mixed into a knob of butter.
This is perfect with mustard mash and greens, or a heap of colcannon (recipe from the BBC here) or to save on the washing up a huge oiled skin crispy jacket potato.